THESE ARE PICK UP ONLY and 4 PER PERSON. Please honor this when ordering. I WILL NOT SHIP TI YOU LOCALLY. I am making them daily to meet unprecidented deamand. When you order, you will be notified within about 72 hours of pickup availability in Summit during store hours Wed-Sun 11-3 (no Westfield pickup due to volume). I am on a 3 day lag but working to increase capacity, so please, please be patient. Wash before using. While all fabrics are washed, and I try and keep a germ free environment, I am looking to make these with speed, and the fact is, my environment is not perfect. OUT OF STOCK? I add inventory most days, for timing, please follow me on Instagram or Facebook, as these sell out in about an hour.
Please read all the desciption Information, for your safety.
1) When selecting size, there are only 2 sizes - about 5x8" for adults and 4x6.5" for kids and. The "girl" size will be kid sized and a girl pattern and "boy" will be kid sized in a boy pattern, when possible. If you prefer to have adult sizes in gender specific colors, select mens/womens as appropriate. I am making these as fast as I can, and will do my best but there is no guarantee on pattern/color. If you need a special size, email me, as we can customize. HOWEVER, if you are petite or an extra large, you want a little larger or smaller and I can do that -- please add a note to your order (do not email me) and clarify of you want one or more made larger or smaller and these will be an inch wider or narrower.
2) What are the uses? These are handmade standard "face masks" designed to reduce particles from passing through. These are not as effective, nor are they a replacement for, the N95 "respirators". Face masks are recommended for anyone ill to prevent the passing of germs and anyone caring for someone ill. I am not a doctor nor am I giving medical advice. These will not stop Covid, but are expected to slow the curve. If you do use these, please consider proper handling protocol such as wash hands before puttin on, touch only the elastic when putting on and wash hands after remiving. Wash mask after use. Please review CDC protocol, and if possible wear with a N95 mask.
From the CDC FAQs https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html "A face mask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms. This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of face masks also is crucial for health workers and other people who are taking care of someone infected with COVID-19 in close settings (at home or in a health care facility)."
Given a lack of testing, it seems logical that wearing a mask is important when out in the public, such as on a grocery store visit, grabbing take-up, or if you are a front-line worker.
3) How effective? Isolation, social distancing, hand washing remain first line defences. Also, please remember that wearing these requires special consideratoins on how to put them on, how often to wash them, and still - no touching your face, the front of the mask, and you can't keep taking these on and off without spreading germs. When putting on a clean mask,only touch ear loops. Wash after use (don't take on and off and reuse without washing). Don't share worn masks with others. I put my initial on the front of my mask in marker, and when you buy a set for your family or coworkers, I try and deliver different patterns.
Please also read this article about effectiveness of home made masks (generally able to reduce particles by about 50%): https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/
AND Yes, these are great to wear over and N95 mask, which some hospitals are doing. Keep in mind, any such combinations require sanitizing of both masks.
4) Cleaning: Wash before use. I have not been able to find any information on best practices for effectively sanitizing and cleaning these. Please share with me if you find any. I recommend machine washing in hot water with laundry soap and a couple tablespoons bleach. Overusing bleach will deteriorate the fabric and lesson the effectiveness. Dry in the dryer or hang to dry. (Just don't let the elastic get caught in bulky items. You may want to use a fine washable bag.) If you iron, do so with a warm (not hot iron) and iron on the back side. Some of the fabrics are cotton blend.
5) Fit Also, with standard sizing, these will fit better or worse on some. You can do a small hand stitch in each elastic band to make it a little tighter, If you need to make it looser, try stretching the elastic a bit. Or give to a family member and ask for a custom size.
6) Giving Back:Our goal is to meet a market need for small businesses and home use. As a mission driven company, we are about giving back. We are donating 10-20% of masks made to those in need. Our goal is to help serve critical needs.
So, why are we selling these and not giving away 100%? Two IMPORTANT reasons. 1) As a startup business, we still need to make money to stay alive. These take longer to make than I was hoping, and are priced accordingly. 2) When you have a plumbing leak, you need to fix the problem before simply mopping up the water. Like with COVID-19 we need to stop the spread, not just treat those who are ill. In some countries masks are required before entering a grocery for example. So, as long as we don't know who carries and spreads COVID-19, why wouldn't we use masks when out and about. And, yes, a N95 respirator mask is the best we have, but these aren't available outside the medical profession. So, for grocery runs or as front-line workers, these may be an appropriate option. I don't leave home without mine.
Here is a Washington Posty article that explains why I make these: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/
Cotton Face Mask - LIMIT 4 per order
If you are looking to buy for your business, email me and I will try to fill bulk orders.
If you are in need of donations, please email.
If you can donate skills to making masks for donation, let me know.
EMAIL: Janette@sustainablehaus.com or call (908) 612-1638.